Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 1- Love Is Patient

My Day # 1 Assignment: Resolve to demonstrate patience & to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the tempatation arises, choose to not say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret.

I THOUGHT it was actually going to be fairly easy for me because Chris & I don't really say anything negative ABOUT each other to each other. (but yeahhh..as my BFF's can attest to-I DO have a tendency to "vent" during girl-talk!) I even became a little "cocky" about the Assignment during the early part of the day ...thinking " I've got this one ace-d!"

THEN.....reality check! After re-reading the Assignment and talkin to Jen, I realized it wasnt necessarily about me saying negative things ABOUT Him.....it NEEDED to include saying NOTHING NEGATIVE AT ALL! Ahhhhh!!!! Now THIS was gunna be ALOT harder...

Suddenly, I started re-playing scenes in my head of all the negative things I say on a regular basis TO Chris about "stuff". All kinds of stuff: gossipy stuff, sh*t-talkin stuff, mean, nasty stuff: comments about EVERYTHING from the way people drive, to how a store clerk "thinks shes all that" and just STUFF! Honestly, its all stuff that I DON'T NEED TO TALK ABOUT AT ALL!!! Plus, its almost ALWAYS just MY PERCEPTION of things, not reality!

So....with my new-found awareness of how much of a Negative-Nancy I have been....I headed over to Chris' for dinner, to spend some time with my honey, and of course-put Assingment 1 into action.
I REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT what came out of my mouth from the moment I stepped thru the door....and remained COMPLETLY negative-free.... FOR THE FIRST TWO HOURS. Then, without even thinking...I did it. I started saying just stupid negative things about the singers on the music videos we were watching. WTHeck?? "Dangg...he looks BADDDDDDD in this video"..."Wow-WHAT happened to herrrrr-she USED TO BE soo pretty in her last video"...blah blah blahhhhhhh. Just stupid negative comments about STUFF.

As soon as I realized what I was saying, I STOPPED. Stopped sayin all that crap dead on the spot! Who was I to be JUDGING someone else, or even talking about them? I surely was NOT actin/living as the woman I want to become...so I apologized to Chris and God for my actions & words.

After that, I am proud to say I did ALOT better! :) No negativity or trash-talkin, even when Chris said he wanted to have a Redneck Wedding like "My Big Redneck Wedding" TV show! hahahaha!
***************************************
On another note:
I spent ALOT of time thinking today about NEGATIVE TALK and I think I need to add a new "Twist" to my Love Dare: I need to not say anything negative TO MYSELF for the next day. Now THIS is gunna be the REAL Challenge.....


No comments: